Tuesday, July 3, 2018

The Palm-Wine Drinkard

This week, we move to consider Amos Tutuola's weird yet groundbreaking novel, The Palm-Wine Drinkard and his Dead Palm-Wine Tapster in the Deads' Town. When it first appeared in 1952, the reviews were a mixture of astonishment and admiration; Dylan Thomas famously proclaimed it a "brief, thronged, grisly and bewitching story," and other reviews were also quite positive; others called it a "strange, eerie, poetic novel" and praised it as the embodiment of an African perspective of Africa. And yet, today, modern African writers such as Wole Soyinka and Ngugi wa Thiong'o have tended to disparage Tutuola, accusing him of being too eager -- even if unconsciously -- ready to write just the sort of exotic, juju-filled story that Western readers expected from the "dark continent."

Forty years after its publication, in 1992, I was fortunate to have a brief correspondence with Mr. Tutuola, and to receive a contribution from him for a book I had proposed at the time: Without Any Rules: The Politics and Poetics of the Vernacular. Unfortunately, as fate would have it, the book proposal never found a home, and when Mr. Tutuola passed on in 1997, I found myself with his contribution still unpublished. And so, it occurred to me that I might share it with the class here on the website. I had asked contributors to reflect on what they considered their "vernacular" mode of writing, and what follows is the opening section of Mr. Tutuola's reply -- it has never been published before now:
By vernacular, I suppose, one means the language into which a child is born and is brought up. A language he picks up almost spontaneously as a matter of course when growing up. By this definition, my own ‘vernacular’ or ’mother tongue’ is Yoruba – a language spoken by a subgroup in West Africa, particularly in the Western and Eastern parts of Nigeria and the Benin Republic. Their root is of course in Nigeria. The people in these areas would now be about 20 million. The sub-group is also called Yoruba people. 
I was born at a time the meeting of our own culture and that of Europe had taken place – indeed at a time British colonialists still held the political and economic leverages of my country and that of some other African countries. This is to say I grew up at a time I had no choice but to be exposed to another language. The language of our colonies. The language in which the official business of my country is conducted, to wit, English. 
But I was not to confront this language until I started schooling. And as fate would have it, I could not get far in formal schooling due to lack of finance (as I lost my father at a tender age). Thus, I had what can be referred to as a tolerable exposure to Yoruba, my mother tongue. 
Years after, when I wanted to write, English, the official language of my country, was the one I wrote in. Ordinarily, this would be a little surprising, given my barely indepth knowledge of the language on the one hand, and my appreciable grounding in Yoruba, my mother tongue, on the other. But that was what I found myself doing. 
Although I wrote (and still do)in English, my writings, looking back now, are still in Yoruba, my mother tongue. In here is deliberately put in italics. The medium in which my ideas are expressed is English, but when I write, the ideas I express, the atmosphere I create, and as reviewers of my works (perhaps rightly) maintain, the gestures readers encounter on the pages of the books I write are YorubaishThus I think it can be said that beyond being a Yoruba writing in English, my works are African in conception.
I think that Mr. Tutuola's comments here give us a remarkable account of the unexpected combinations, conflicts, and sometimes fortuitous collisions of language and consciousness that are a powerful feature of postcolonial writings. Should a writer seeking to resist colonization be obliged to write in the colonizer's tongue? And if she or he chooses it despite its histories, can it be shaped, as Tutuola suggests, back into a "native" language?

Two years after The Palm-Wine Drinkard, he published My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, which was later the inspiration for an electronic album by Robert Fripp and Brian Eno, which is widely regarded as one of the most powerful, pioneering recordings of its kind. I urge everyone to read -- and listen to -- all of these remarkable works.

10 comments:

  1. This book was bizarre. It was the content more than the writing style that I found most difficult to follow. After the first few paragraphs, you get used to the dialect. It’s really no harder to follow than Mark Twain. But it seems to jump all over the place.
    It’s a too whimsical for my personal taste, but there were parts that stood out. One was the part about the “complete gentlemam”. I’m not sure if it was intended this way or not, but the passage comes across with some definite queer undertones.
    ___________
    “I could not blame the lady for following the Skull as a complete gentleman to his house at a. Because if I were a lady, no doubt I would follow him to wherever he would go, and still as I was a man I would jealous him more than that, because if this gentleman went to the battle field, surely, enemy would not kill him or capture him and if bombers saw him in a town which was to be bombed, they would not throw bombs on his presence, and if they did throw it, the bomb itself would not explode until this gentleman would leave that town, because of his beauty. At that same time that I saw this gentleman in the market on that day, what I was doing was only to follow him about in the market. After I looked at him for so many hours, then I ran to a corner of the market and cried for a few minutes because I thought within myself why was I not created with beauty as this gentleman, but when I remembered that he was only a Skull, then I thanked God that he had created me without beauty, so I went back to him in the market, but I was still attracted by his beauty. So when the market closed for that day, and when everybody was returning to his or destination, this gentleman was returning too and I followed him to know where he was living.”
    _________
    Here the narrator says that following the attractive man would be the feminine thing to do. But only a few lines later, he does just that, seeming to cast aside typical gendered expectations. He even cries over the man’s beauty, but starts to lose interest upon remembering he is only a skull. This could easily be read as an allusion to a culturally forbidden same-sex attraction.

    Anthony Maselli

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two facets in this book which would be paramount to discuss. First and foremost, the book focuses around mythical stories, all of which are [assumingly] originated from the authors home.

    What's truly interesting is that the way the book is narrated is truly unique. While each story goes into great depth about what transpires, it never truly feels as though the narrator is invested in the story. Instead it appears as though each passage is simply like the telling of a long sentence for a god of great age. The stories come and go, similar to the tide, but to the narrator there is never truly a sense of caring about whats occurring, simply the oration of it.

    Secondarily, the actual dialect of English used to tell the stories is so original that it's unlike anything I've formerly read. The flow to the stories draws you in, almost like a web thats spun around to you wrap you tight. But, in certain instances, there are moments where the grammar becomes jumbled (for example, words like rentage payment, which simply is coined rent in english), and causes the reader to snap out of the "web", only to be drawn back in.

    Overall, these two instances make the stories go by quickly, and provide a unique outlook on stories that are truly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this book to be extremely different from any story I have ever read. The story was written in a different style of English which took a bit of an adjustment to acclimate to. There were definitely several instances in which I felt totally lost and confused as to what was happening. However, by the end of the story, everything seemed to somehow all make sense. After writing The Palm-Wine Drinkard, Amos Tutuola wrote My Life in the Bush of Ghosts which inspired an electronic album. by Robert Fipp and Brian Eno. If found this to be particularly interesting! The music itself was well thought out in the way they chopped voices and made them slightly incoherent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was alittle thrown off when I first began to read the story. As previously mentioned above the dialect is nothing I have ever come across before. I was alittle turned off when I first began to read it. But after I got into a few pages it just draws you in. My favorite section of the book was " No road ought to travel from bush to bush to the dead town". We see a different point of "magic" , through out most of the story he refers to him self as a god and relies on his juju to help transform him. At this point of the book he references to his father he gave him the power to help protect him from spirits . In which he transforms to a fire hoping to fight off these white creatures and they end up enjoying the warmth. Though it seemed like a good idea in the beginning like most of these short segments its quickly drawn back down because his plan didn't exactly go as planned. I think in that nature is what kept me on edge with the reading. It wasn't same paced through out his short tales rather , it had more of a roller coaster effect with the highs and lows and as quickly as things would turn and bring him down was as quickly as things would turn around and go back up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In reference to Mr. Tutuola’s letter and correspondence to your book. I can relate to some of his writings and spelling. In your letter he has spellings like honoured and in the correspondence he explains his way of combining the English language with his ‘mother tongue’ of Yoruba, calling it Yorubaish. I think many countries and cultures have adapted and created their own words/language for example I am of Latin decent and we have Spanglish and the new generation is creating their very own urban language slang, in which each new word contains multiple definitions. This is dependent upon who you are talking to or the circumstance surrounding the word at the given time.
    When I was in elementary school, they put me in bilingual classes, so when I read, in my head I tend to be translating this is why it takes me a long time to read. However, when I do numbers I tend to fly through the work because to me numbers are universal.
    In retrospect to Mr. Tutuolas book, “The Palm-Wine Drinkard, I like that the book has a combination of a little bit of everything, voodoo, culture, hardwork etc. Most importantly, I like that he writes some letters and words the way that he would pronounce them like Drinkard instead of drunken and he used and incorporated his own definition of “atall”
    Nelly C. Perez

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading Tutuola, I was thinking about the idea of a story that is supposed to represent an entire culture, and how each of the stories in this class are authored by writers non-native to the cultures they write about. In this case, with Tutoula, he is, in fact, writing about his culture of origin. However the language is questioned, and historically has been highly criticized on all sides. Some claiming his english fell short and, in turn, somehow painted the picture of a "typical African" as represented in the white-supremacist stories of our European origin. Had he written the book in Yoruba, what are the odds we would be reading his book in this class in 2018? Having also experienced colonization firsthand, adapting to the language forced upon him by the colonizers, certainly there is a narrative in his own experience around having to speak English and nothing else. It's surprising he was so criticized for using the language of the West, the global language of commerce and economic opportunity. His use of English mattered to him as a writer, potentially unedited, as it represented the story he wanted to tell. Isn't that what our stories are? Our own unique expressions of our lives and our imaginations? It's hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea that we are criticized for style or content or flow, as it is a unique expression we are creating and not a piece commissioned for complete historical and linguistic accuracy. In fact, his style of English gives the reader insight into his experience, his story, his painting on our minds' walls. He is able to relay a completely vivid story, using incredible plots to illuminate the mystery and surprise. I found the book challenging to read, for sure, but contributed to a better understanding of Tutoula's personal vision. It related to the album well; non-syncopated beats (in neither verse or bar), off kilter and bizarre. Both forced me to pay attention and listen more, and elicited the feeling of surprise and humility, and immense curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This assignment was very difficult to comprehend. Tutuola’s story is like a drug induced hallucination. The imagery and graphic text are something out of a nightmare – surreal and frightening – but unable to run away from. I found myself not wanting to read the story, but unable to stop just to see how it would end. The language is a key part of flow of the story as it is very unique and true. If it were written without the ethnic vernacular, the story would not have been as powerful. The musical piece by Brian Eno and David Byrne added to the imagery. The arrangement is harsh and choppy. It accompanies this story’s surrealistic theme. SSteere

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edward Cummins
    I thought it was extremely interesting that the author decided to personify death. The way that the author chooses to bring up death in many aspects of the story, really pushed the mythology if it all. It made me really wonder if that is how the authors culture see’s and understands death, or if it was just an artistic twist. The creativity and imagination that the author has in creating the storyline is really indescribable, although the storyline had so many aspects to it, I still found it titillating. At points it made me ask myself if he was really seeing all of these creatures or it was just his imagination due to all of the palm-wine. In agreement with my fellow peer’s the different written dialect of the story took a little while to get used too. Tutola was able to captivate me while reading this story, it really was an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this reading was hard for me to comprehend through the story. i asked myself if he was hallucinating or if he was actually seeing something? near the end of the story it kinda made sense to me what this story was about.
    Caitlynne McSweeney

    ReplyDelete
  10. While the content of the story was interesting and creative, it was very difficult to comprehend. I had previously taken an anthropology class about West Africa, and even with a previous knowledge about Yoruba and Igbo cultures I still had a difficult time comprehending this story. Tutuola should have provided more background information to explain the context to a foreign audience. I did find his story about bringing "death to the world" to be an interesting parable, and I found it interesting that the story was written about a wealthy African rather than the redundant theme of impoverished Africans, but ultimately I found this assignment to be the most difficult reading of the semester.

    ReplyDelete